Because the University is committed to eliminating sexual misconduct, students are strongly encouraged to talk with someone about what has happened to them so that victims can receive support and the University can respond appropriately.

Students who wish to discuss or formally report an incident should know that faculty and staff members at Delaware Valley University have differing abilities to maintain privacy of information upon learning of an incident.

You should know that:

  • Certain personnel on campus (and off campus) can offer confidentiality -- providing support, advice and options without any obligation to tell anyone unless a student requests that they do so, or if there is an imminent risk of harm to someone.
  • Other personnel can provide privacy in the advice and support they can offer. While they are not required to report specific, personally identifying information (unless there is concern for your safety or that of others), they do have an obligation to report that something has occurred, without specifics or names. This limited reporting keeps the University's Title IX Coordinator informed about the nature of incidents on campus for purposes of tracking patterns, evaluating campus wide procedures and providing remedies for the campus community.
  • Finally, some personnel, who are designated by the university as "responsible employees", are required to act on a specific report, which means they have an obligation to report the specifics of an incident to the Title IX coordinator for review and investigation.

The Options
Generally there are four options, classified as informal and formal, for discussing an incident.

  • Informal reporting
    The option of discussing an incident for the purposes of support or guidance, without expectation or desire for the university to act on the incident. Informal reporting may occur by:

    • Confidentially discussing an incident with university or community resources:

      Counseling Services (on-campus) in Elson Hall
      Phone number: 215.489.2317
      After 4:30 p.m. weekdays and weekends call Public Safety 215.489.2315

      Health Services (on-campus) in Elson Hall
      Phone number: 215.489.2252
      After 4:30 p.m. weekdays and weekends call Public Safety 215.489.2315

      Network of Victim Assistance (off-campus)
      1-800-675-6900 (NOVA victim assistance hotline, available 24 hrs/day)

    • Privately discussing an incident with campus personnel (faculty, staff, and/or volunteers not designated as "responsible employees" for support and guidance). Examples of personnel in this category include those without supervisory responsibility or authority to address sexual misconduct including but not limited to:
      • Faculty
      • Advisors to student organizations
      • Admission, financial aid, bursar, registrar and finance personnel
      • CSPD staff
      • Academic affairs/support (tutoring, learning support, student success)
      • Certified athletic trainers
      • Dining and facilities staff
      • Custodial and facilities staff
      • Administrative assistants and clerical

      Victims wishing to speak with someone on campus about an incident are encouraged to first ask about the level of confidentiality or privacy that will be afforded to the conversation.

      Limits of confidentiality and privacy: Victims who choose to speak informally with personnel who can extend confidentiality or privacy must understand that a victim's desire for confidentiality means that the University may be unable to conduct an investigation into an incident, or pursue action against the alleged perpetrator.

  • Formal reporting
    Defined as a report with the desired intent to initiate an investigation. Details about formal reporting to the university follow in section VIII of this policy. Formal reporting may occur by:

    • Making a formal report to the university through a "responsible employee", Public Safety, the Title IX coordinator or Title IX deputy which will result in the university evaluating and investigating as appropriate.
    • Making a formal report to law enforcement and/or the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). The university will actively assist in the process of formal reporting to local law enforcement.

    University personnel are annually trained on their reporting roles and obligations and are able to identify for students into which category of reporting obligation they fall.