1. Housing Agreements

    Prior to residing in University housing, each student signs a Housing Agreement. This document serves as a binding agreement between the student and the University pertaining to the terms of residing on campus. Housing Agreements are effective from the moment they are signed until the completion of the applicable academic year.  

    Graduating Senior Exception:
    A student may request to reside in on-campus housing while enrolled in less than a minimum full-time course load (not less than 6 credits) provided the student is enrolled in the final semester of the program of study and the Registrar certifies the student is carrying (for credit) all remaining courses necessary to complete degree requirements. Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This exception does not apply to policies on student financial aid or scholarships; students should contact the Financial Aid Office prior to submitting this request to evaluate the financial impact of carrying less than a minimum full-time course load.

    Should a student break the signed agreement by withdrawing from campus housing prior to the completion of the academic year, a Housing Agreement Termination Fee will be applied using the following fee schedule: between signing of the agreement and June 1 – $300.00 fee; after June 1 until the end of the applicable academic year – $600.00 fee.  Students who move off campus during a term will not be granted a room refund once 60% of the term has been completed.

    *This fee does not apply to students graduating, transferring, withdrawing from the university, taking a leave of absence, student teaching, or working at an internship approved by the appropriate department and related to their academic program. 

  2. Room Assignments

    In order to reside in on campus housing, students are to maintain full-time undergraduate status each semester as defined by the Registrar’s Office. Any exceptions to this policy are at the discretion of the Residence Life Office.  

    Room and board charges cover a period of thirty (30) weeks during each University year. When a student requests a room, the reservation is considered to be for a complete academic year, and the student will be billed accordingly. Each student is assigned an individual bed space in a residence hall room and should only occupy that space. Students can anticipate all bed spaces being assigned in their designated residence hall rooms. Additionally, students are to use the room to which they are assigned as their primary residence and sleeping quarters on campus. Students who sleep/stay in other students’ rooms on campus excessively will be considered making an unauthorized room change.

  3. Housing Accommodations for Medical and Mental Disabilities

    Any student in need of special housing accommodations based on a specific medical or mental health condition must submit a formal request to Learning Support Services. All requests must be submitted using the official request form, which can be found at www.delval.edu/disabilities. All request forms must be completed by a treating medical professional. The documentation will be reviewed and the student will be notified of approval status.

  4. Room Changes

    To request to change a room assignment, students must first submit a Room Change Request form. No students are permitted to change rooms until the request is approved. Changing rooms without approval may result in conduct follow up.
    *In suite style housing, students are assigned to a specific bedroom and are to follow the same Room Change process even to change bedrooms within the suite.

  5. Room Re-Assignment

    The University reserves the authority to change a student’s housing assignment at its discretion.

  6. Room Keys

    Each student is issued a numbered key for his/her assigned residence hall room. For safety purposes, residence hall room keys may not be duplicated or loaned to another student or individual. If a residence hall room key is lost, the University locksmith will replace the lock and issue new keys. The student is responsible for the replacement costs.

    *A student locked out of his/her room may contact residential staff or the Office of Public Safety and Security at x4444; a student locked out will be given access to his/her assigned residential room only.  

    Each student is to return his/her assigned key during checkout procedures from the residence hall room. Should a student fail to return the assigned key within 48 hours of checking out, the lock will be replaced and the student will be responsible for the replacement costs.

  7. Check-In/Check-Out

    Each student is responsible for completing a Room Condition Report (RCR) online upon move-in. The form is used to note the condition of the room, including walls, furniture, flooring and common areas. Students should report immediate concerns to residential staff to have the concerns addressed. Having a completed form on file from each student is helpful as staff will refer to the completed RCR at the end of the year when completing room inspections.

    Upon check out, the residence hall room is to be in the same condition as when the student moved in. Each student is responsible for removing all personal belongings and cleaning the room and its contents, including the microfridge. Once this process is completed, each student will return the room key during check-out procedures. Should a student not uphold these expectations, the student may be subject to appropriate cleaning and/or repair/replacement fees.

    Please note, should a student withdraw from University housing, all check-out expectations still apply. Any personal property not removed within the designated timeline determined by the University may be disposed of by the University at its discretion. 

  8. Damage Assessment

    Each student is responsible for the care and cleanliness of the assigned room, as well as, the common and public spaces in the respective residence hall. Professional staff will complete final inspections of all residence halls at the conclusion of the final hall closing for the academic year.

    Staff will reference the Room Condition Report completed by each student at move-in to determine applicable damage/replacement and cleaning fees.  Applicable fees will be added to student accounts and notice of fees will be communicated to students. Students are offered an opportunity to appeal applied fees.

  9. Room Maintenance

    Should a student have a facilities issue with the residence hall room, the student should communicate the concern to a Resident Assistant, the Residence Life Office, or directly to the Maintenance Department at x2228. For facility emergencies (water leaks/floods, smoke, fire, sparks, etc.), contact the Public Safety and Security Office at x4444.

  10. Semester Break Housing

    Residence halls are closed to students during vacation periods such as Thanksgiving break, winter break, and spring break.  Students who need to stay on campus over the breaks for university-related reasons must request to stay on campus and receive approval from the Residence Life Office.

  11. Summer Housing

    Students may reside on campus for the summer if they are working on campus, taking summer courses on campus, or working an off-campus position approved by the Center for Student Professional Development for the Experience 360 program. Additionally, students may only reside on campus for the summer if they are registered for housing for the following fall semester.

Back to Residence Hall Policies