Here is some basic information for those who are not familiar with the Delaware Valley College campus or our technology infrastructure.

Please feel free to contact the HELP desk at 215.489.4357 (HELP) if you have any technology-related questions.

Do I need to bring a computer to campus?

Students are not required to bring a personal computer to Delaware Valley College. A computer, however can be a very useful resource, since much of your academic work is going to involve using a computer in some function. Owning your own computer also allows you to take advantage of the College's internet connection. If you do use your own computer, please note that any computer connected to the network must have current virus-protection software, and the virus protection software must be updated regularly. Students who do not have virus protection software on their computer may obtain Sophos Antivirus from DelVal. This software can be downloaded from the College's server once the computer is connected to the network. To protect your computer, DelVal advises all students to obtain a working surge protector. Technology Services is not staffed or equipped to repair students' personal computers.

What kind of computer should I buy/bring?

Students may bring any brand of IBM-compatible computer (Dell, HP, etc.). DelVal's recommended configuration for a new computer is a Pentium 4 or higher (dual core recommended) with at least 512MB memory for Windows XP, or 2GB for Widows Vista. If you are interested in connecting your computer to the College's network, you will also need a network card and a CAT5 cable, or a wireless capability. Both items are available at the DelVal bookstore. As students do not necessarily know what length of CAT5 cable needed until they inspect their living quarters, DelVal recommends that students wait until they are on campus to purchase it. Although Macintosh computers may successfully connect to the network, Information Services is not able to provide extensive support for these computers. 

Should I get a desktop or a laptop computer?

The choice to bring a desktop or laptop computer is a personal one based on student preferences. Laptops are not required unless students are planning to take the computer out of their room frequently. Some factors to consider are the convenience, mobility and versatility of a laptop, compared to the lower cost, higher speed and better audio/video capabilities of a desktop. As we expand wireless coverage of the campus, laptops are becoming more popular.

What software should I have on my computer?

The software used on computers on campus is Microsoft Office 2003 Pro suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access), and Office 2007 Pro in our Vista based labs. This is also the software taught in the computer classes. Delaware Valley College recommends that students purchase the newest version of this software. In some classes, professors require that papers are submitted as files. If students do not have Microsoft Office, they can purchase it online through the Journey Ed Select program. All computers connected to the College network must have virus protection software. If you do not have virus protection software on your computer, the College provides Sophos Antivirus software. Students can download this software from the College's server once their computer is connected to the network.

Why should I connect my computer to the College's network?

Delaware Valley College has network connections in rooms in all residence halls on campus. If you are bringing your personal computer to campus, you have the option of connecting to the College's network. Connecting your computer to the network will give you the same access to the Internet that you have in the computer labs with the convenience of working in your room. Residence Hall access will not give students access to software packages, which are licensed for use on College computers only. If students connect to the network independently, DelVal does not charge to connect to the network with the exception of the cost of the network card and cable. Complete information on system requirements and how to get connected to the network can be found on the Technology Services web page.

Is there a wireless network on campus?

Delaware Valley College continues to upgrade wireless access in dorms, classroom buildings, and public gathering areas on campus. The wireless network is currently available in the Library, Mandell Hall first floor, Feldman Building first floor, the Commuter Lounge, The Pub, APR in the Student Center and in all Dorms. Other areas are planned and will be announced as they are installed. To use the wireless network, students will need an 802.11b or 802.11g wireless card.

If I don't have my own computer, are there computers I can use on campus?

There are over 150 computers available on campus for student use, all of which are connected to the College network. There are three computer labs on campus: Feldman 101, Feldman 103, and Allman 204. Computer labs are open for general use Monday- Friday from 8:30 am - 6:30 pm when no classes are scheduled for the rooms. A room schedule is posted near the door of each room and on our website. In addition to the computer labs, there are computer rooms that are open 24 hours/day, 7 days/week in the basement of Segal Hall, the Commuter Lounge in the Student Center and Miller Hall. There are also computers and laptops in the Library and computers in many residence hall lounges. Network printers are located in each area. Color printers and scanners are located in the computer labs and 24-hour computer rooms.

What software is on the College computers? Do they have Internet access?

All computers connected to the College network (computer labs, 24-hour computer rooms, residence hall lounges and the Library) have internet access using Internet Explorer. The computers run Windows XP Pro and Microsoft Office 2003 Pro. Other software packages (AutoCAD, Visual Studio.Net, Pagemaker, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) are installed in specific computer labs.

Will I have a college email account?

All full-time students will receive a Delaware Valley College email account. Students will receive a letter containing their mailbox name and instructions on accessing mail. PLEASE DO NOT THROW THIS LETTER AWAY. Student email accounts can be accessed on computers connected to the College network or from off campus through the College's website (; click on WebMail). While many students have other email accounts through various providers, all students should check their college email account regularly, as offices and faculty contact students via these accounts. Notices of scheduled network and server maintenance are also announced via email. Email account messages are not stored in a database, and the College cannot be responsible for lost e-mail accounts.

Will I have any file storage space on a server?

All full-time students are also given 25 MB of storage space on one of our servers. This space is provided as a convenience to students and can only be accessed by the individual. The space can be accessed from any computer connected to the College network. It is recommended that students also keep back up copies of any files that are stored on the server. Delaware Valley College cannot be responsible for any lost or damaged files. Instructions on accessing your file space will be included with your instructions for email.

Can I register or see my grades online?

At the beginning of your first semester, you will receive a letter containing your Campus Portal login information.  Logging into the Portal ( gives you access to various applications including WebAdvisor and Blackboard.


Please keep your user name and password confidential, as anyone with this information will have access to your academic records.

WebAdvisor is a system that permits you to access academic information from your computer. WebAdvisor allows you to print your class schedule, print unofficial transcripts of your grades, review the master schedule of classes, print program evaluations, review financial aid information and register for classes. If you are a new/transfer student, you may not register or add/drop classes using WebAdvisor during your first semester. All changes to your first semester schedule must be made at the Registrar's Office. 

Will I have a phone in my dorm room?

All residence hall rooms have an analog telephone provided for on campus, local, toll-free and 911 calling. You must dial 9 to reach an outside line. Student telephones do not have voicemail or long distance service. Answering machines may be connected for receiving messages. Students may use cell phones or toll-free calling cards for long distance service.