Antivirus for Students
- Sophos Antivirus Web Installer - Free for DelVal Students. This software is only available on campus. NOTE: Please uninstall any antivirus programs already on your computer. Having more than one antivirus program can causesystem problems. Contact Technology Services if you have any questions.
Anti-Spyware/Malware - Some of these are free.
- AdAware - free comprehensive malware protection
- A-Squared - Scan and clean your PC. Anti-Virus + Anti-Spyware
- HijackThis - This tool can remove especially pesky spyware but make sure you understand how it works or seek assistance.
- Malwarebytes - easy-to-use, simple, and effective anti-malware
- SuperAntiSpyware - features many unique and powerful technologies and removes spyware threats that other applications fail to remove.
- Password Safe - free
Disk Encryption Software
- TrueCrypt - free - Allows you to create encrypted folders to store sensitive data in.
Secure Data Deletion
- Eraser - free - Use this program to securely delete files and folders. You can also use it to securely move files from one location to another.
Plug-ins, Players and Viewers
Plug-ins help your browser perform specific functions, such as viewing documents, special graphic formats or playing multimedia files. If you are unable to open or view a particular item on Blackboard or if you experience technical issues with a feature, you may not have the software that was used to create the document, graphic, video, etc. and may need to download the appropriate plug-in, player or viewer in order to view the content.
MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Viewers
Microsoft provides free software that allows viewing certain files without owning the full version of the software.
A web browser is a software application that enables users to view web pages over the Internet. No two web browsers are alike; each will display the same web page a bit differently.
If you experience a technical issue using Blackboard, the first thing you should try is switching to a different web browser. The most popular browsers are listed below with corresponding links to websites where you can download them for free.
- Internet Explorer provides navigation through tabbed browsing, web search right from the toolbar, advanced printing, easy discovery, reading and subscription to RSS feeds, and much more. Available for PC users only.
- FireFox offers a smart location bar, one-click bookmarking and fast performance among many other benefits. Available for PC, Mac and Linux users.
- Opera is quick to start and effective at helping you navigate the web. Available for PC, Mac and Linux users.
- Safari has a simple, yet elegant interface that offers fast performance. Available for both Mac and PC users.
- Camino is an open source web browser developed with a focus on providing the best possible experience for Mac OS X users. Available for Mac users only.
Virtual Private Network (VPN) Instructions (employees only)
These directions will show you how to log onto DelVal’s VPN site, download files to work on, and then upload them back to our server. An account MUST be set up through Technology Services first using the Access Authorization Request Form located on our policy page.