Why do I want to research a company?
It is imperative to research an employer to ultimately make a decision if you want to work for that employer. You also need to be able to tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific company, industry, market or product. You can give yourself a better chance to make an impact in an interview if you are knowledgeable about the employer. You will be able to communicate your desire or interest in the company/industry.
What do I want to know about a company?
There are some specific things that are helpful to know about an employer, including:
- Responsibilities of the Position
- Promotion Opportunities
- Long-term Income Potential
- Locations of the Company
- Direction of the Organization
- Organizational Charts
- History of Company
Where do I get this information?
- Reference USA is an internet-based reference service containing detailed information on nearly 12 million American businesses. This reference is accessible from any Delaware Valley College networked computer
- ReferenceUSA Off Campus Access - you will need to input your Campus ID Number to access this.
- MyPlan.com will assist you in obtaining industry information and career profiles.
- Hoovers online offers company information, including business reports and profiles.
- Careeronestop uses an employer locator to find contact information about a specific employer or list of employers.