What is ExLP?
Our Experiential Learning Program (ExLP) gives you the opportunity to take your in-the classroom lessons to real-world activities, including experiences at agency, business, education and government settings.
In each of these “experiences” you'll:
- Be actively involved in the experience;
- Reflect on the knowledge gained from the experience;
- Use analytic skills to conceptualize the experience; and,
- Demonstrate decision-making and problem-solving skills gained from the experience.
- Gain real-world competencies within your chosen discipline.
Why Experiential Learning?
ExLP is designed to prepare you for a life of meaningful work, service and career growth. Integrating knowledge and experience, you’ll gain a life-long appreciation for learning. You’ll engage in a process that includes preparation, action, and reflection, which will make you learn more effectively from experience, and put your knowledge into action as a globally responsible citizen.
Experiential Learning Program Outcomes:
- Graduates will have completed relevant field-related experiences in order to obtain and excel in entry-level employment or graduate school related to their career objectives.
- Graduates will have identified specific career goals as a result of self-assessment and reflection activities.
- Graduates will have participated in Experiential Learning activities that contribute to professional achievement in the areas of employment, academic advancement and civic/community engagement.
- Graduates will exhibit competence in professional written and oral communication.
- Graduates will demonstrate analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills to navigate the job market and their chosen field.
What are ExL Activities?
Each activity is part of a greater whole, which will vary depending on your concentration. These include:
- Student Teaching
- Career Exploration Experience
- Experiential Learning Courses
- Student Research
- Study Abroad
- Leadership Program
- Community Service
- Civic Engagement
To learn more about activities download the Activities Matrix.
How does ExLP Work?
At DelVal the path begins with Class of 2016 freshmen taking the Introduction to Experiential Learning course. After that a variety of opportunities are available to you.
Students must sign up for each activity through the Center for Student Professional Development. Check out the ExL Activities page for more information on each activity’s registration process.
See ExL Program Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
For information on becoming involved in student organizations, leadership, community service or civic engagement opportunities, contact The Office of Student Involvement.