What is the Experience360 Program (formerly Experiential Learning Program) and why is it a requirement?

Delaware Valley College recognizes the importance of integrating hands-on practical experience with classroom instruction.  The Experience360 Program (E360) provides active, hands-on applied experiences tied to specific academic objectives and outcomes as a requirement for graduation. It provides students with the opportunity to participate in real-world activities as a basis for learning and to develop specific career goals and aspirations. In the E360, students will:

  • Be actively involved in the experience;
  • Reflect on the knowledge gained from the experience;
  • Use analytic skills to conceptualize the experience;
  • Demonstrate decision making and problem solving skills gained from the experience

Each academic department has their own outlined requirements by major. Be sure you are aware of the program requirements of your specific major, available on your program evaluation or each department’s website.

I heard that there is an Employment Program in which you complete 500 hours of field-related work experience instead of completing E360 activities. Can I sign up for that?

The College transitioned from the Employment Program to the Experience360 Program in 2012, and students are assigned to either program based on when they started at DelVal (the catalog year in which the student entered) and how many credits they brought to DelVal at the time of matriculation.  Please see the Experience360 Program Policies for more information.

Why do I have to take an online course when participating in an experience?

The online course associated with each E360 activity for credit and recognition is designed to enhance your experience and learning through a course or program which includes reflective assignments, workbooks, instructor guidance and learning outcomes.

 What if I am participating in a job in my field / an internship / a community service project but I don’t want to register it for the E360 requirement this semester?
While not every experience and opportunity that you participate in needs to be registered as part of E360, you need to make sure you meet your academic department’s E360 requirements by registering the activity. While positions in your field / community service projects / internships / leadership roles are very valuable, registering the activity for E360 credit and recognition is designed to enhance your experience and learning through a course or program which includes reflective assignments, workbooks, instructor guidance and learning outcomes. We encourage you to participate in many opportunities during your time at DelVal, regardless of whether you choose to register every one for E360 recognition.

 What’s the difference between an Academic Career Exploration Experience and an Academic Internship?

Academic Career Exploration Experience (CEE) Academic Internship
  • Provides participant with an introduction to or exploration in a discipline-related field
  • Allows exploration of different areas of your field and helps you to determine an area to pursue as a full-time position
  • Eligible after completing 27 credits
  • Example: A small animal science major volunteering at the SCPA cleaning kennels and taking animals for walks
  • Participant develops industry knowledge and gains additional skills in preparation for post-graduation opportunities (duties are similar to an entry-level position)
  • Site Supervisor acts as a mentor, guiding student in duties regularly and provides opportunities for growth
  • Eligible after completing 45 credits
  • Example: A small animal science major working under a Veterinarian shadowing surgeries and assisting in handling animals during procedures.


 Am I able to count my summer internship for the Internship Activity?
Yes, both the Internship and Career Exploration Experience activities are available for summer registration. Each activity/course is offered through the online Blackboard system so that you can participate in the activity and course from home.  See number 4 and 6 for more information.

If I register to complete the Academic Internship or Academic Career Exploration activity over the summer, does that mean I have to pay for a summer course?
As both are activities and courses for credit and are monitored by faculty, you are required to pay a fee for the summer course. In order to provide flexibility for students, the College offers a discounted fee of $250 per credit for students who choose to participate in the activity during the summer semester. Students who participate during fall and spring semesters are not charged additionally for their activity unless the activity flows into overload credits (more than 19 credits/semester). Please remember that all activities are offered during fall and spring semesters.  Participating in the activity during the academic year is the recommended option for those who are not able to pay the summer fee. Students who participate in outside internships or work experiences during the summer are encouraged to participate regardless if they register for E360 credit and recognition. Non-credited activities do not require a fee. 

 Next semester, I am taking 16 credits and I still want to do a three-credit Academic Internship. What is credit overload and how many credits am I allowed to take before I am billed for credit overload?
Credit overload is when your credit-load exceeds the maximum for full-time tuition. You are able to take a maximum of 19 credits before you are billed for credit overload. It’s important that you plan your credits accordingly. If you are going to exceed the maximum credit load, we recommend that you edit your schedule to allow for the Academic Internship or take the Academic Internship the following semester. Because of the time commitment of an Internship and a full-time academic load, we do not recommend exceeding full-time course load.

It is August 20 and I just landed a great internship. I want to use it this fall semester for the Academic Internship Activity. Can I still register?
You can register for the activity up until the Add Courses deadline. See the registrar’s office or Academic Calendar for deadlines. We recommend that you search for opportunities the semester prior to registration in order to plan out your credits.

I have decided that I want to register my opportunity for the E360 Activity. What do I do?
Each E360 Activity has its own Activity Application Form.  For all forms, please go to the CSPD office in Segal Hall. You will need to get the appropriate signatures for approval, depending on your activity. For instance, for a Career Exploration Experience – your site supervisor and academic department chair will need to sign your form. By fall 2013, all Activity Application Forms will be available on our online system, ExperienceLink.  

Why do I have to complete three activities, but my friend only has to complete two activities?
Each academic department has designated requirements that are appropriate and specific to their field and industry. Check your academic department’s E360 Requirements for more information.

My friend only has to complete 40 hours of experience per credit, but I have to complete 56 hours of experience per credit.  Why?
Each Academic Department has their own hours per credit requirement.  Some departments have found that more experience is necessary to be successful in their field.  Check your Academic Department’s E360 Requirements.

I am a transfer student and I did an internship at my last school.  Do I have to complete one here at DelVal?
It depends on your Academic Department’s E360 Requirements and how many credits you transferred to DelVal. See both the E360 Policies for the Transfer Policy, your Academic Department’s E360 Requirements as well as your Academic Department Chair.

 What is the DelVal Experience Transcript?
DelVal’s Experience Transcript is recognition of your co-curricular campus involvement at DelVal.  The transcript captures the E360 Activities that you have registered at DelVal, as well as your student involvement, including community service, awards, clubs and organizations and athletics.

 How are student involvement activities reported for inclusion on my DelVal Experience Transcript?
It is each student organization’s responsibility to track their members and executive boards for submission to the Office of Student Involvement.  Student organizations are also able to submit awards and community service projects to the Office of Student Involvement for consideration for recognition on the DelVal Experience Transcript.