In both career exploration experience (CEE) and internship experiences, the responsibility of the host organization is to provide the student with adequately supervised and discipline-related work experience.
In internship experiences, employers should expose interns to high-level management and place emphasis on mentorship and varied professional experiences. As a means of heightening the learning experience, students may be assigned a project and/or a responsibility requiring a level of decision-making that increases their understanding of course work learned. These experiences should include but not be limited to performing functions that have increasing responsibilities over time.
In both CEE and internship, a site supervisor will be an individual who assigns projects to the student, monitors work performance, lends guidance, and acts as the immediate contact person throughout the student’s employment with the company. The site supervisor will provide a final evaluation for the student. The site supervisor is the individual who will contact the Center for Student Professional Development to address any concerns before, during, and after the experience.
What are the expectations of the site?
- Providing whatever training the student needs to understand your organization's culture and methods of task completion; assigning any readings that you feel would assist the student in understanding your work.
- Assisting the student in identifying learning objectives as a component to their Activity Application Form (student application to count the experience for academic credit).
- Setting clear performance expectations for the student and provide regular supervision
- Notifying the Center for Student Professional Development, in a timely manner, if student performance issues arise.
- Verifying the student's log of hours at the end of the semester (form provided by the Center for Student Professional Development).
- Completing an evaluation of the student's performance at the end of the semester (form provided by the Center for Student Professional Development).
All experiences must be completed for the duration of time agreed upon by the student, the employer and the Center for Student Professional Development. However, the experience may be terminated by either the site supervisor or student. Both the student and site supervisor should communicate issues to the Center for Student Professional Development.