When seeking positions, it’s important to not only look at the posted positions online, but to research the various companies and resources that the field has to offer.
Why do I want to research a company?
Researching companies within your field are important for multiple reasons:
- To reach out to companies in your field to find out if they’re hiring or open to taking on an intern (see this link for help on writing an outreach letter)
- To tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific company, industry, market or product
- You can give yourself a better chance to make an impact in an interview if you are knowledgeable about the employer. You will be able to communicate your desire or interest in the company/industry
- To ultimately make a decision if you want to work for that employer
What do I want to know about a company?
There are some specific things that are helpful to know about an employer, including:
- Responsibilities of the Position
- Promotion Opportunities
- Long-term Income Potential
- Locations of the Company
- Direction of the Organization
- Organizational Charts
- History of Company
Where do I get this information?
- Reference USA is an internet-based reference service containing detailed information on nearly 12 million American businesses. This reference is accessible from any Delaware Valley College networked computer
- ReferenceUSA Off Campus Access - you will need to input your Campus ID Number to access this.
- MyPlan.com will assist you in obtaining industry information and career profiles.
- Hoovers online offers company information, including business reports and profiles.
- Careeronestop uses an employer locator to find contact information about a specific employer or list of employers.
- Glassdoor provides an inside look at jobs & companies, including salary information.