After the interview:
- Ask for a business card
- Shake hands and thank the interviewer for his or her time
- Ask one of the following: "When will you be making a decision?" or "When will I be hearing from you?" You should always know what the next step is upon leaving the interview.
- Send a follow-up thank you letter within 24 hours of the interview. This is VERY IMPORTANT, as it serves to keep you fresh in the interviewer's mind, and it acknowledges the meeting. It also allows you to make an additional contact with the employer while demonstrating your writing skills and professionalism.
Remember to address the interviewer by name in your letter, and if there was more than one person interviewing you, be sure to send a personalized letter to EACH recruiter. Keep it concise but make sure you address three main points:
- You paid attention during the interview.
- You can do the job and would be a positive contribution to the organization.
- Include a phone number where you can be contacted.