Distinguished Faculty Member of the Year: Howard Eyre
Jun 15, 2009
Delaware Valley College is pleased to honor Howard Eyre, Assistant Professor of Ornamental Horticulture and Environmental Design, as the 2009 Distinguished Faculty Member of the Year. This is considered the most prestigious faculty award at Delaware Valley College.
Qualifications for the award require the recipient to exhibit:
- Teaching excellence
- Availability to students through advising and co-curricular activities
- Contributions to the college community both on and off campus
A committee of faculty, students and alumni select the winner, who receives generous stipends for professional development and is recognized on a college plaque of honorees. The following are testimonials from Professor Eyre's peers, students and co-workers:
- Professor Eyre is an extraordinary teacher who has the special ability to connect with each student
- Professor Eyre makes a large impact and inspires students in the best and most positive way
- Professor Eyre has high expectations for students and is a master of creating practical "hands-on" learning experiences
- Professor Eyre has fully prepared me for the challenges I face in my industry
- Professor Eyre has taught me many life skills on how to be successful, wise and responsible
Howard Eyre, a Pennsylvania Certified Horticulturist, is an experienced teacher and has over 20 years of professional experience in the landscape industry. Immediately prior to joining the Delaware Valley College faculty, Professor Eyre owned and operated his own landscape design and contracting firm in central Pennsylvania. Professor Eyre offers courses in Arboriculture, Nursery Management, Landscape Techniques, Landscape Construction and Flower Show Practicum. Professor Eyre also plays an active role in the Eastern Regional Landscape Seminar, which is held at Delaware Valley College. He has coordinated various student trips to Europe for professional tours.