Food Systems InstituteWhere
November 12, 2013
The purpose of Delaware Valley College’s Food Systems Institute is to develop, foster and encourage cross-disciplinary collaboration and education on all aspects of food production and manufacturing in all schools and departments at the college.
Seminars are organized and moderated by Delaware Valley College faculty with the aim of introducing how our food is produced and manufactured. They are the beginning of the conversation on agriculture and food between faculty, staff, students and community members. All sessions are open to the public and are free of charge.
Don't miss the next seminar in the series, Dairy Food Systems, November 12 from 6 - 7:30 p.m. in Moumgis Auditorium. Panelists include:
- Jeff Bloom is executive vice-president of the Dairy Practices Council and a DelVal alumni. He worked for Dairylea for many years on quality control on the farm and processing. He was milk inspector for 150 farms.
- Justin Risser owns an 800-cow dairy in Lancaster, serves on the Professional Dairy Managers of Pennsylvania board of directors. He is also a DelVal alumni and former president of the DelVal Dairy Society.
- Caitlin Foley earned a BS in Animal Science from Cornell, a MS in Dairy Science from Virginia Tech, and is currently finishing her Ph.D. at Penn State. She will join the DelVal faculty in January, and is very excited about teaching students about dairy.
- Andrew Holloway is a technical consultant manager for Elanco Animal Health. He earned a BS from Virginia Tech and a DVM from VA-MD Regional College of Veterinarian Medicine.
The final seminar for this semester, Global Food Systems, is on December 3 in Mandell 114. The panelists are:
- Dr. Tanya Casas, Faculty, Delaware Valley College, International Development and the Food Systems
- Dr. David Snyder, Faculty Delaware Valley College, How Food has Altered US and Global History
- Steve Finn from ResponsEcology Consulting and the University of Pennsylvania, Food Waste and the 9 billion in 2050 problem.
Dr. Cathy Davies