Living in the residence halls is a staple of the university experience. The items below are some basic items that may make the experience a more positive one. The Residence Life staff suggests that you bring the minimum needs when you first move in and see what works best for you and your roommate(s) as the semester progresses.
Be sure that you are prepared for move-in day
Basic Suggested Items
- Extra-long twin sheets (see below)
- Power strip -- Woods brand only (see below)
- Floor rug -- 8x10 or less
- Small fan
- Trash can, with trash bags
- Flashlight, with batteries
- Clothes hangers
- Cleaning supplies
- Alarm clock
- Shower shoes or flip-flops
- Shower caddy
- Laundry supplies - HE detergent only
- Desk lamp -- non-halogen
Special Items to Consider
- NEW MicroFridges: Alleviate one big item on move-in day, and have your rental MicroFridge in your room before you arrive! Students may rent 1 MicroFridge per room. Visit https://www.myMicrofridge.com to place your order. Students are not permitted to bring their own microwaves unless ordered through our partners, and may bring one mini-fridge per room if not renting (3.1 cubic feet or less).
- Bed linens: University-provided beds are extra-long—visit Residence Hall Linens to purchase linens for your room.
- Woods brand surge protectors: Residents are required to use Woods brand surge protectors. Pick yours up at the Bookstore.
- Personal property insurance: The college does not cover student belongings in case of fire, water, theft or other loss. If your homeowner’s insurance does not cover your belongings, contact your insurance carrier to purchase property insurance. If you prefer, you can also contact National Student Services, Inc., or take advantage of their College Plus program.
- NEW Wireless Internet: To take advantage of the residence hall wireless internet, you'll need an account with MyResNet. You can register and connect up to 7 devices with a guaranteed 50Mbps connection (included), or sign up to get more speed (additional cost).
Do Not Bring
- Weapons (including BB guns)
- Large furniture
- Halogen lamps and bulbs
- Air Conditioners
- Grills (all types prohibited)
- Dart boards
- Candles or incense
- Power-water guns
- Fireworks or explosives
- Inflatable hot tubs
- Water beds
- Pets-- fish are allowed in a tank of 10 gallons or less