Campus is a bit quieter during the summer, but DelVal alumni are clearly as busy as ever! I hope you enjoy reading what your classmates and friends are doing. Don't forget to check out the upcoming events as well!
Director of Alumni Engagement
Delaware Valley College
Connect with DelVal!
There were so many alumni on campus for A Day, it was amazing! Thanks to everyone who stopped by the alumni tent. If you missed the pictures on Facebook, here is the A Day photo album.
Congratulations to the Class of 2014 on their graduation last month, and welcome to the alumni community! It was wonderful to see the members of the Class of 1964 celebrating their 50th anniversary of Commencement, and touching to see two Class of 1944 alumni on the 70th anniversary of their graduation. A toss of the cap to Ray Blew ’52, who received an honorary degree in recognition of his innovative contributions to the greenhouse and nursery industry as owner of Centerton Nursery. Check out tons of Commencement photos here, here and here.
Special thanks to alumni who hired DelVal interns this summer, including Steve and Cynthia (Haller) Yingling ’79 of Glenville Hollow Farms. If you’re a DelVal alum and you hired a student, let us know!
DelVal alumni seem to have had all boy babies this spring!
- Robin Goldblum ’01 and husband Jeremy Burton welcomed their son Brayden Ross on March 28, 2014
- Chris McIver ’04 and wife Jenna welcomed Tristan to their family on April 3, 2014
- Jaxon Thomas was born on February 21, 2014, son of Tom Kepping ’07 and wife Michelle, pictured with big sister Kelcie Morgan
- Brett ’04 and Andrea (Hood) Haines ’04 welcomed Riley Brett on March 20, 2014
- Declan Dale, son of Dale IV ’06 and Dana Ronyack-Davis ’06, was born on May 22, 2014; Dale III and Carol (Shaffer) Davis, both '79 alumni, are proud grandparents
Kelcie and Jaxon Thomas
Brett and Andrea with Riley Brett
Aggies in the News
Dick Smith ’68 has been selected to receive the 2014 Award for Meritorious Service from the American Jersey Cattle Association and National All-Jersey, Inc.
Tori Splain ’11 was recognized by DelVal’s APO chapter with the Distinguished Service Key at their alumni picnic on April 13. She also happened to be pictured in this Lancaster Online article!
Abree Murch ’13 (Dec.) was thrilled to give T. Rex a pedicure. She’s a curatorial assistant at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History in Washington, DC.
Samantha (Dailey) Billig ’08 was named a Phillies Teacher of the Year Honorable Mention from over 1,000 nominations; she was nominated by a senior at Hunterdon Central High in Flemington, NJ where she teaches business education. Samantha got to attend a pre-game party May 2nd and her name was listed on a handout at the game!
Abree Murch '13 gave T. Rex a 'pedi'
at the Smithsonian in D.C.
Samantha (Dailey) Billig ’08 was
recognized at the Phillies
Alumni supporters span 80+ years!
As we approach the end of June, DelVal's annual fund campaign is in high gear. Alumni from as far back as the Class of 1930 and as recent as the Class of 2013 have supported DelVal and our students. There's still time; details are at www.delval.edu/giving. Thanks!
Congratulations and more news…
Navonne Owen ’02 recently received the Distinguished Service Award from the National Association of Extension 4-H Agents during the Joint Council of Extension Professionals (JCEP) Conference. Navonne works for the 4-H Youth Development Program in the Rutgers Cooperative Extension Office in Atlantic County, NJ.
Krystal Lucykanish Snyder ’05 was promoted to Technical Specialist supporting Jack’s Fertilizers and the JR Peters Laboratory. Her areas of expertise include test result interpretation, product usage and mixing help, problem solving and fertility program design, and she will help JR Peters expand into emerging markets of specialty vegetable/high tunnel crops and hydroponics.
Sandy Bennett ’80 was honored with the 2014 Volunteer of the Year Award from Big Brothers Big Sisters of Bucks County.
Caitlin Dorgan ’11 was surprised to see her boyfriend Gerard as she crossed the finish line in South Beach FL… After she asked, “what are you doing here?” he promptly proposed! Check out her blog for the details.
Ryan Basile ’98 was featured in Digger, a magazine for the nursery community of the Pacific Northwest.
Carey Mignogna-Stevens ’95 and her boxer, Lilley Pickle, won first place in the American Boxer Club Nationals. Awesome job, Carey!
Carey with her prize-winning boxer
Ryan featured in Digger
Jim Wilson ’88 has been living with kidney disease for years, and now receives dialysis every other day while he hopes to qualify for a kidney transplant soon. Keep him in your thoughts, and let Lynn know if you'd like to get in touch with him.
Rob Castro ’06 was recently brought on board as Vice President and Commercial Lending Officer at 3rd Fed Bank in Newtown, PA. Good luck in your new job!
George Ngo ’13 just accepted a new job with Audubon Florida studying shorebirds in Panama City.
Congratulations to these DelVal alumni who recently completed graduate degrees!
- Karlena Brown ’12 graduated from American U with a Master’s in Chemistry
- Megan Stevenson ’11 got her Master's of Education in Curriculum and Instruction with PA certification in Biology from Gannon University
- Franklin Allaire ’00 graduated with a PhD in Educational Foundations from the College of Education, University of Hawaii
- Justin Fyfe ’08 received a DVM from St. George's University School of Veterinary Medicine
- Marissa Di Miero ’11 got a second DelVal degree, this time an MBA with an Entrepreneurship concentration
- Jill Whiting ’09 and Kelsey McCleary ’10 both graduated with DVM degrees from University of Missouri
- Alyssa Northey ’09 got an Associate’s degree from Lehigh Carbon Community College for Physical Therapist Assistant
Far From Home
Peter Kuntz ’05 just spent two weeks in England and France, where he served as photographer for a parachute jump team commemorating the 70th Anniversary of D-Day. The first photo is looking South from the north end of the Omaha Landing Zone in Normandy, and the second is the American Cemetery on the hill above Omaha Beach in Normandy.
Jess Hardy ’13 is pretty far from Doylestown as well. She is interning with The Musk Ox Farm in Palmer, Alaska. For her internship, Jess collects the fiber (called qiviut) from the musk ox, as well as handles farm chores like feeding, cleaning, fencing, and any medical needs. She also bottle-feeds the calves which tames them, allowing staff to work with them.
Amelia Davis ’10 is a keeper at Tanganyika Wildlife Park in Wichita, KS. As a zoo science major, pygmy hippos are one of her favorite animals, so she was thrilled when Tanganyika got a couple of new residents… Pluto and Posie, the pygmy hippos! She also hangs out with lynx cubs from time to time.
Pluto the pygmy hippo
Amelia Davis ’10 holds a lynx cub
Poetry, Photos, and Prose by DelVal Students
The Gleaner is a rich, vibrant collection of poetry, prose, artwork, and photography representing the marvelous creativity of DelVal students. This gorgeous photograph was taken by Erika Klemp '15, and is called "Which way is up?"
For the first time, you can see the Gleaner online at www.delval.edu/the-gleaner. Other issues of the magazine will be added in the future. There are so many wonderful pieces, you might want to bookmark the page so you can keep going back to read all the submissions.
Dr. Michael Garrett, a DelVal chemistry professor for more than 3 decades beginning in the 1970s, passed away in May. Our sincere condolences to Dr. Garrett's family and friends.
Next month on Facebook: DelVal alumni who own farm markets! If you own or are the primary manager for a farm market, send Lynn a note. In July, the Delaware Valley College Alumni & Friends Facebook page will feature a different market at least once a week. We don’t want to leave yours out, so let us know you’re in the business! (The fine print: an alum must own or be the primary manager of the market; non-alumni-affiliated markets are wonderful, but we’re plugging those run by Aggies.)
Links and Friends
Don't forget to join our LinkedIn group which is approaching 1,200 members. On Facebook, you can join a group for 50's-60's graduates, 70's grads, or for the classes of '88, '94, '96, '07, '08, '09, '13 and '14. Don't see your class? Ask Lynn to help you start a group. Oh, and check out www.facebook.com/delvalalumni as well!
This and That
Please let us know about any DelVal alumni we should feature in the next newsletter. Thank you!
Dates to remember:
- July or August 2014, exact date TBA: Alumni volunteer garden restoration day
- July 30-31, 2014: Look for DelVal at the Penn Atlantic Nursery Trade Show (PANTS)
- August 21, 2014: Freshman move-in, volunteers wanted to help with "Arrival Survival"
- August 23, 2014: Women's field hockey alumni game; contact Carol DiGirolamo for info
- September 2, 2014: Family-friendly alumni event at Linvilla Orchards
- October 6, 2014: DelVal's Annual Golf Classic at Saucon Valley Country Club
- October 11, 2014: Homecoming, reunions for classes ending in '4' and '9'
- October 11, 2014: Women's basketball alumni game
- October 22, 2014: Agriculture and Science Career Fair; alum employers welcome
- November 15, 2014: Sigma Alpha 15th anniversary Emerald & Maize Ball
Contact Lynn at email@example.com for details about any of these activities. See www.delval.edu/alumnievents for a full listing of events!
Stay in touch
Please let us know if you have moved, or if you have a new email address or phone number. That way, we can let you know about DelVal alumni activities in your area!