- Title: Assistant Professor
- Undergraduate Departments:
- Phone: 215.489.4446
- Email: email@example.com
- Office Hours:
Monday 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m
Wednesday 9:30 - 11:30 a.m.
Jessica McCall completed her Ph.D. with a specialization in early modern studies and graphic novels under Dr. Evelyn Gajowski at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas in May 2011.
Dr. McCall's research interests focus specifically on representations of warrior women from Spenser's Radigund through DC Comic's Wonder Woman and takes a presentist approach to early modern literature examining modern resonances and myth across time.
B.A. in English, with minors in music and creative writing, Western Illinois University
M.A., University of Massachusetts, Boston
Ph.D. University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Specialization: Shakespeare and early modern studies; Minor: composition and rhetoric, drama.
- "V for Vendetta: A Graphic Retelling of Macbeth." Popular Culture Review 20.1 2009 45-60
- “Wonder Woman: Love and Murder.” in Critical Survey of Graphic Novels: Heroes & Superheroes, edited by Bart H. Beaty & Stephen Weiner. Hackensack, NJ: Salem Press, 2012
- “Satire and Parody in Graphic Novels.” in Critical Survey of Graphic Novels: Heroes & Superheroes, edited by Bart H. Beaty & Stephen Weiner. Hackensack, NJ: Salem Press, 2012
- “What's in a Kiss? Believable Femininity and Lois Lane in Richards' Superman II.” in On Being Lois Lane: Critical Essays on the Woman Behind Superman, edited by Nadine Farghaly. Jefferson, NC: Scarecrow, Forthcoming